Replies

2 ISP problem

cognize123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have cisco 2611 and 2 NIC cards.

Also i have 2 ISP.

How i can use this ISP for backup route ?

Sample:

ip route 0.0.0.0 ISP1

ip route 0.0.0.0 ISP2

Sorry for my english.

10 Replies 10

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Are the public IPs yours, or did you get them from the 2 ISPs, and is there any routing protocols running. Its easy to control the upstream traffic but the issue is how to control the downstream traffic.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud,

Hi.

ISP2 is my

Sample scheme

ISP2---My router---ISP1

LocalNet

int et 0/0

ip addr 222.22.22.54 (sample)

int et 0/1

ip addr 192.168.3.254

LocalNet 192.168.3.0/24

ISP1 - 222.22.22.53

ISP2 - 192.168.3.253

Sample

1ISP is down -> go to ISP2

I am looking for route-map ... but no implement this solution

Thank you

Hi,

If you are talking about primary and backup, you should use a static route to the first ISP and a floating static route (a static route with higher AD) to the other ISP, while doing NATing and having your LAN interface as inside and both the ISPs interfaces as NAT outside (and make sure that your Ethernet interfaces have keepalives configured.).

If you need some kind of load sharing, you'll have to NAT some of your LAN IPs to ISP1 and the rest to ISP2, you won't have 50/50 load balancing, but you'll have a decent load sharing.

NOTE: I've assumed that you don't have internal servers that you wish to publish to the internet.

HTH, please do rate if it does help,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you.

I am think this evening about your post. (be reading books)

You can designate one ISP connection to be the backup by assigning a higher admin distance for the 2nd static route. You may run into failover problems if you are connecting to the ISP via ethernet due to the nature of the medium. Cisco has a feature called static routing using enhanced object tracking to address this problem.

Have a look at the example and object tracking feature info shown in the links below.

Your config would look something like this;

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (ISP1_next_hop)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (ISP2_next_hop) 200 --> you are setting the static route with a higher admin distance. This route would serve as a backup only to the primary default route.

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ef7b2.shtml

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

HTH

Sundar

Hi there,

In addition to Sundar & Mohamed post, If you are looking to loadbalance traffic accross both ISP's as well, you can configure (IP load-sharing per packet)interface command at both interfaces connecting to the ISPs and do the following:

IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (ISP1 nexthop)

IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (ISP2 nexthop)

This will do loadbalance your traffic per packet across both ISPs.

Thanks,

Thank you, but i didnt need for load balancing

Only backup route

sorry for my english

Hello Sundar This is Srinivas working at Newjersy. I need you help in Setting up VPN to multiple site. I.e NJ site to colombus, colombus to Indian ffice. Can you give me the best solution and What r the Infrastructure I need for the same. U can reach me at my mail Id: ssatyasrinivas@gmail.com. Thanking you

Srinivas,

Here's a comprehensive link with VPN configuration examples for most VPN types. Use the example that fits your situation and post any specific questions to the forum.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

Good Luck :)

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: