cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to recover after "write erase"

danashbaugh
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 9505, After running the write erase command, I can no longer log into the switch via telnet with the default admin password or the last configured password. Also I no longer get any activity over the serial connection to log in through serial. How can I reset this director back to factory defaults?

4 Replies 4

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

Did you do the write erase and then reset the switch? That will revert the switch back to factory defaults which should not have a password. If so, you are not going to get to the switch with telnet/ssh.

How are you getting to the serial port? Assuming you have the right cable and a laptop, you should be able to power on the switch and see it boot with the serial connection. I assume you are using that nice blue Cisco cable. I have had a number of issues with other cables and terminal servers/dumb terminals. I found the Cisco cable and a laptop set to 8/1/N works.

Plug the cable into the top supervisor as it usually comes up first to make it the active card... if I recall that correctly. Its not something I do everyday.

Stephen

Yes I did reset the switch after the write erase. I do not think it reverted back to factory defaults though. I still get a login response when I telnet to the configured IP address, but no passwords seem to work. I have tried admin/admin as per the documentation defaults and the configured password, both reply with login incorrect. I have also tried no password.

I am using the supplied Cisco serial cable which I know works because I was connected serially when I sent the write erase command.

Since the command and system reset I have not seen any activity through the serial connection. I have tried both the top and bottom supervisor and neither show any activity when the switch boots up. I am using a windows laptop using hyperterm with 8/1/N settings as per the documentation.

Is there any other way to set factory defaults? I am out of ideas on how to recover this switch.

You can use password recovery procedure below but you need to get your console connection working first.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ps4159/ps4358/products_password_recovery09186a00801258c3.shtml

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the info