cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to recover after "write erase"

danashbaugh
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 9505, After running the write erase command, I can no longer log into the switch via telnet with the default admin password or the last configured password. Also I no longer get any activity over the serial connection to log in through serial. How can I reset this director back to factory defaults?

4 Replies 4

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

Did you do the write erase and then reset the switch? That will revert the switch back to factory defaults which should not have a password. If so, you are not going to get to the switch with telnet/ssh.

How are you getting to the serial port? Assuming you have the right cable and a laptop, you should be able to power on the switch and see it boot with the serial connection. I assume you are using that nice blue Cisco cable. I have had a number of issues with other cables and terminal servers/dumb terminals. I found the Cisco cable and a laptop set to 8/1/N works.

Plug the cable into the top supervisor as it usually comes up first to make it the active card... if I recall that correctly. Its not something I do everyday.

Stephen

Yes I did reset the switch after the write erase. I do not think it reverted back to factory defaults though. I still get a login response when I telnet to the configured IP address, but no passwords seem to work. I have tried admin/admin as per the documentation defaults and the configured password, both reply with login incorrect. I have also tried no password.

I am using the supplied Cisco serial cable which I know works because I was connected serially when I sent the write erase command.

Since the command and system reset I have not seen any activity through the serial connection. I have tried both the top and bottom supervisor and neither show any activity when the switch boots up. I am using a windows laptop using hyperterm with 8/1/N settings as per the documentation.

Is there any other way to set factory defaults? I am out of ideas on how to recover this switch.

You can use password recovery procedure below but you need to get your console connection working first.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ps4159/ps4358/products_password_recovery09186a00801258c3.shtml

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the info

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: