cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 Linked to Net but can't ping

paulc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2950 using a Xover cable to connect to a 4006. I get a link light on port 24 but can't get a reply when I ping it. Also, if I connect up a desktop to the 2950, it is effectively off the network. Using Smartport I config the port to Switch. I'm kind of scratching my head over this one.

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

When you say you connect your desktop it is effectively off the network? Can you confirm if the link light comes up? Can you confirm what is the ip address you assigned to your 2950 switch?

There are many things to start from. So ca nyou post your "sh run" and "sh vlan" and same for "4006" switch also. Looking at the configs of both the switches lot of things will get clear and easy to start with.

Regards,

Ankur

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I suppose that you have configured trunk between your 2950 and 4006 ?

The mgmt vlan must be the same on both sides and it need to be allowed on the trunk (if you have a filter)

A quess is that you have link, but problems with trunk negotiation.

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paul,

Please paste your switch configurations from both the sides.

-amit singh

Here you go. I snipped some info from the 4006 as the interfaces are all set up the same as the one listed (3/1).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: