cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem loading a new image on a 7204 router

andrewb
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to send a new image out to a cisco 7204 router. The TFTP transfer starts and then fails. the flash size is 24M the file is c7200-is-mz.124-13a.bin file size 23,839. I thought may be the file size was causing the problem so I tried to get the router to boot from my tftp server, the tftp transfer starts and then fails.

Any ideas???

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Could you post a show flash ?

How about using ftp insted of tftp?

And if you want to boot from tftp I think you need to change the config register.

Regards,

Bjornarsb

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

As for the first case, when it doesn't copy to your flash, check the min flash requirement of the IOS.

In the second do you mean it starts copying then it suddenly fail, if so please try a different tftp server software.

NOTE: To boot from a tftp you just need: "boot system tftp ".

HTH, please do rate helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you for you response. I have tried a couple of different tftp servers, solar wins and Tftp32. Both do the same thing the transfer starts I see a few lines of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc then it hangs. I did have the boot tftp in tthe config as you suggested.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Did you check the min RAM and Flash required for the IOS, can you use ftp "boot system ftp ".

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Could you post a show flash ?

How about using ftp insted of tftp?

And if you want to boot from tftp I think you need to change the config register.

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Thankyou for the response. What config rg setting do you recomend 2142?????

Andy

Thankyou the FTP download worked.

Andy

Andy

I do not know of any reason to suggest anything other than the usual 0x2102 for the config-register.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Andreweb,

It's TFTP software problem, the TFTP software will hang if the image more than 12-16 M for example solarwinds hand on windows XP but working fine on WIN2K to solve such issue on whatever OS, go to http://www.google.com and search for Cisco TFTP this an perfect TFTP software i had use it from long time to upload large images on 7200/7500.

Technical TIP: After install the software (Cisco TFTP) open it and from the top toolpar open view-->options and uncheck both check-box "Show file transfer progress" and "enable logging"

Please rate helpful posts.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

adrian.chadd
Level 1
Level 1

Ah! Just re-read the post properly. Some older TFTP servers can't serve data past the 16 megabyte boundary.

Which version of TFTP server software are you using, and which bootcode are you using on the 7204?

Adrian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card