cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Time Stamps wrong in log.

att0055rj
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having an issue with a few of the routers on my network. The output of the show clock command displays the correct time, but the log entries are off by about 5-ish hours. Is the router sitting in a time-warp? Events are happening in the future(?) :P

Ex:

May 8 17:39:05.144: %ENTITY_ALARM-6-INFO: ASSERT MINOR AT1/0 Physical Port Link Down

<hostname>#sh clock

12:45:51.975 cdt Tue May 8 2007

Config is as such:

clock timezone cst -6

clock summer-time cdt recurring 2 Sun Mar 2:00 1 Sun Nov 2:00

ntp clock-period 17179830

ntp update-calendar

ntp server <IP of NTP Server> prefer

The router that I copied the above example from is a 7206 running:

Version 12.4(7b)

I also see this problem with some other 7206s as well as a few 1841s. Doesn't seem to be any correlation. Ideas why this is??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The log messages are showing a UTC time stamp. Please include the service portion of the config as well. You probably want to add:

service timestamps log datetime localtime

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The log messages are showing a UTC time stamp. Please include the service portion of the config as well. You probably want to add:

service timestamps log datetime localtime

att0055rj
Level 1
Level 1

As requested:

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

Yep, just add a localtime in there, and you'll get localized time stamps. You might also want to add show-timezone to see to what timezone they're localized. And because I'm pedantic, timezones are usually written in all upper case (i.e. CST and CDT).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: