I have upgraded a Cisco 7206VXR router from NPE-400 to NPE-G2.
Below are the actions I performed:
(1) Power off the router. Replace NPE-400 with NPE-G2. Power up router.
(2) Upgrade IOS to version 12.4(4)XD7. Image filename is c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.XD7.bin
(3) Reboot router. IOS upgrade verified okay.
(4) Proceed to manually upgrade the FPD. Image filename is c7200p-fpd-pkg.124-4.XD7.pkg
(5) Power cycle the router and it is not able to boot. It stops at:
System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(4r)XD3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Socket jumper: not present Failsafe jumper: present = normal
FPGA revision 0x00000026
Before I upgraded the FPD, I did "sh hw-module all fpd". It showed current version is 0.36 and min. required version is 0.1. Despite this, I proceeded to upgrade the FPD. However, the router is not able to boot now.
I followed the following technote to perform the FPD upgrade:
Attached is console logs of the FPD upgrade.