Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM Active/Active in 2 redundant 6500s

ssalem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

our application team is mandating, that the solution we should come up with for SLB, should support Active/Active mode of SLB operation.

My question, is this mode of operation supported/accredited by Cisco, and what is the draw back from the traditional active/standby.

If you are aware of a URL about the topic, please forward it.

Thanks

Sami

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

With CSM the only way to achieve ACtive/Active redundancy is using RHI (Route health injections). You can configure CSMs such that CSMs inject "high cost" host routes for VIP1 (on CSM1) and "low cost" routes for VIP1 (on CSM2) to MSFC.

Similarly for another VIP say VIP2, CSM will inject "high cost" host routes for VIP2 (on CSM2) and "low cost" routes for VIP2 (on CSM1) to MSFC.

This way both CSMs will be active (but for different VIPS).

The most important thing with this design is to ensure that the return traffic hit the correct CSM.To achieve this you can use policy based routing.

Traditional CSM redundancy uses HSRP and hence one CSM is active at a time.

Syed

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

With CSM the only way to achieve ACtive/Active redundancy is using RHI (Route health injections). You can configure CSMs such that CSMs inject "high cost" host routes for VIP1 (on CSM1) and "low cost" routes for VIP1 (on CSM2) to MSFC.

Similarly for another VIP say VIP2, CSM will inject "high cost" host routes for VIP2 (on CSM2) and "low cost" routes for VIP2 (on CSM1) to MSFC.

This way both CSMs will be active (but for different VIPS).

The most important thing with this design is to ensure that the return traffic hit the correct CSM.To achieve this you can use policy based routing.

Traditional CSM redundancy uses HSRP and hence one CSM is active at a time.

Syed

I'd like to bring this question back up (5 years later) to see if there is any new way of doing just this.

Currently I have two 6500's running in active/active but I have to run a source NAT to correctly route traffic back out, I'd like to continue active/active while retaining the source address in the packet if at all possible

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: