cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can outdoor AP really can be used without protection in external area?

teru-lei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can AP for outdoor can be used for outdoor without any protection? for my previous project, I use a weather proofed box to protect the AP, drill a hole in the weather proofed box to connect external antenna to the outdoor AP inside. But I am doubting if that is necessary. If outdoor AP is already ok for external area, I will just use without protection in my next project. I am not sure if I can do that, although many outdoor AP say that they are "weather proof" in their datasheet. Is there anybody who has experience to give me a hint??

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Teru Lei

6 Replies 6

sethgarnar
Level 1
Level 1

We have 6 1300 series outdoor units that are located on top of buildings with no protection. They have been in service for almost three years now and have never had to service them. We're located in upstate NY so we get a wide range of weather.

Thanks! do you have lightning arrester, grounding or use fiber etc to prevent effect of lightning?

I use them on the coax. I get them from:

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/al-f.php

You should use both.

The so-called "lightning arrester" won't do much for you in the event of a lightning strike (or near-hit), but they do serve to drain atmospheric static (caused by wind / dust / snow) that can build up and damage the equipment behind the AP.

A segment of fiber will block the lightning, but static buildups are a surface effect ... it's possible that they could be carried across the fiber link (not real likely, but possible).

Also, as pointed out by another poster in a similar post/response a couple weeks ago, you should probably use isolated / segregated power to feed the devices at each end of the fiber (transceivers or switches) to prevent the lightning from bypassing the fiber segment through the power lines.

It's always a good thing to review your local electrical codes, as well as any state and / or federal codes ... the local regulations are generally targeted to protect the user/consumers from likely local "events."

It might also be worthwhile to talk to radio (installation) professionals in your area and get their recommendations. It might cost a few bucks up-front, but it's usually worth it to keep the lightning (and atmospheric charges) outside where they belong.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks all!

philliploveless
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I deployed a 1300 series access point outside and have been running it in production for 6 months thru adverse weather conditions with no issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: