cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS blocking incoming webmail... Strange

james.talbot
Level 1
Level 1

We have enabled an IOS based IPS on our internet routers and all seems to be working well apart from a strage issue. We are currently only alerting on all signitures so no traffic should be droppped. The problem i have is with incoming hotmail and yahoo mail messages which fail to be delivered to the recipents on our mail server. When we disable the IPS the mails soon arrives after.

I have applied the IPS inbound on the internet faceing interface. Can anyone shed some light as to why we have this issue.

3 Replies 3

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

It could be configurtion issue,

refer this link how to configure the sensor to Blocking devices

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids10/idmiev/swchap3.htm#wp32394

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Could you please elaborate the Router IOS and IPS version so that we may get a better idea of whats going on?

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

OK

our router version is c7301-advipservicesk9-mz.124-9.T.bin.

Not sure where to find the IPS version. I have completed further testing on this issue. When i have enabled the IPS on inbound and outbound traffic i cannot receive hotmail emails and i am unable to access the hotmail website.

could HTTP redirects be an issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card