cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs Routing/Access-list intresting problem

jahilnt10
Level 1
Level 1

I have cisco WS-C3550-24-SMI running ip routing.

I have three customers and they fall in their own valns as listed:

interface FastEthernet0/10

switchport access vlan 10

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast

interface Vlan10

description cust2

ip address 1.1.6.37 255.255.255.252

ip access-group inbound in

ip access-group outbound out

interface FastEthernet0/11

switchport access vlan 11

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast

interface Vlan11

description cust3

ip address 1.1.7.41 255.255.255.252

Than I have another vlan the one pointing to router

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 14

no ip address

load-interval 30

duplex full

speed 100

spanning-tree portfast

interface Vlan14

description wireless

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

This all worked fine. The problem is there is traffic on physical ports and I can't see traffic on VLAN. For example when I execute this command show interface vlan 14. I just some kb traffic while there is more than 10Mb traffic on Fe 0/1. Same for other vlans.

Also access-lists are not working proprely. How do you guys use switches when you need to use your switch as intervlan router and access-lists on vlan or port bases?

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Bear in mind that you will only get traffic going across the vlan interface if it needs to be routed. So a server within the vlan communicating with another server in the same vlan will not traverse the layer 3 vlan interface.

You should apply access-lists to your vlan interfaces if you want to filter traffic between vlans. Best way to think of it is

Inbound access-list on vlan interface is traffic coming from that vlan and being routed off to another destination.

Outbound access-list on vlan interface is traffic coming from a remote destination and being routed onto the vlan.

HTH

Jon

Hi, Thanks for reply.

My customer traffic is internet traffic and being forward/routed to upstream router. As you said I will see all L3 routed traffic in vlan interface but in my case I can't and I don't know exactly why it is.

I don't want to filter traffic between vlan, I wana filter all internet traffic which is being routed to upstream L3 on vlan interfaces for individual customer vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card