Helpful
Replies

Server not reachable from internal network when using portforwarding

smallore_4plus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have newbie question. We have the following situation:

A brachnoffice in Hungary is connected to our headoffice in Germany via IPSEC-VPN. Everything is working fine, all necessary traffic goes through the tunnels.

But if i set up a port forwarding (port 443) on the Router (1812) in Hungary to a server in the hungarian network, i cannot reach the server over the internal network from Germany. The port forwarding is working but if i use a private address from internal just the used port is not working.

Do you have any hints for me??

Thanks for your help

15 Replies 15

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

your problen is this:

access-list 103 deny tcp any host $PUBLIC_IP eq 443

applied on:

!

interface FastEthernet1

description Interface zum Provider

ip address $PUBLIC_IP 255.255.255.248

ip access-group 103 in

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

duplex auto

speed auto

crypto map Erlangen

!

HTH, rate if it does.

BR,

Bjornarsb

Hi,

thanks for the fast response, but i don?t think that this entry is the problem, because i also tested it with an other port (1677).

I used a second public IP-Address (which we also bought) for the port forwarding.

Alex

Hi,

But try disabling your acl for a very short period and see if it works :)

BR,

Bjornarsb

Hi again,

i did what you said and removed the complete access-list 103 and then it works from internal and external.

But can you tell me which statement is blocking the internal requests? Or do you know a debug setting which can tell me what is the reason for the blocking?

Thank for now.

Greetings Alex

Hi mate,

That was good news!

OK if you want to see which statement is blocking you need to enable logging of your acl's statement.

like this :

!

access-list 1 permit 5.6.0.0 0.0.255.255 log

access-list 1 deny 7.9.0.0 0.0.255.255 log

!

or

!

access-list 1 permit 5.6.0.0 0.0.255.255 log-input

access-list 1 deny 7.9.0.0 0.0.255.255 log-input.

HTH,rate if it does

BR,

Bjornarsb

OK, thanks for the hint.

Do you see, maybe, an error in the access-list? Or will i need further statements to allow the access??

Greetings

Alex

Hi again,

i have bad news. I tried again to disable the access-list to check what statement is blocking my requests, but this times after applying the portforwading rule (ip nat inside source static tcp internal_IP 443 external_IP 443) i had also no internal access to the server.

I have no idea to fix that problem... :o(

Maybe someone else???

Best gegards

Alex

Hi,

Which ip do you use from the inside, when you try to access your server. You cannot use de global DNS name (i.e the external_IP )

You either need an internal dns or edit the host file on your computers.

HTH,

Regards

Bjornarsb

Hi,

i use 192.168.2.252 from internal.

We also have a working DNS. I want to use the same DNS-Name from internal and from external. The internal DNS should point to the internal address and an official DNS-Record should point to the external, public IP.

Regards

Alex

Are you able to ping 192.168.2.252 from inside ?

Yes, i can ping with and without the port forwarding statement.

Alex

TRY:

https://192.168.2.252 in your browser.

Without the portforwarding this works, after applying the statement it doesn?t work.

Alex

Hi again,

i was away for a week on vacation.

I think the problem is the communication between Germany and Hungary over VPN, because if i insert the portforwarding statement the server is reachable from the internet and from the local network in Hungary. But from the german Network it cannot be reached.

Do somebody see my mistake in the configuration??

Thanks in advance

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco