cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICM disk partitioning and sizing

pkallstrom
Level 1
Level 1

I have red most of the documents about ICM but I can't find any information about how large (in Gb or percent) the c: resp d: partition shold be for a AW/HDS, Rogger and PG/CTI server

2 Replies 2

jbennett
Level 1
Level 1

You can start with the Build of Materials (BoM) located here: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/icm/ccbubom/

The BoM is version specific so you'll have to select the appropriate document since I'm unsure of your version of ICM.

After you have covered the minimum requirements we can break it up by node a bit more.

Router's and PG's generically don't have a lot of disk IO compared to a box with a SQL database so they are normally configured as a single partition to the size of the disk.

For AW's and HDS's I can give you a few high level "rules of thumb"... For a standard AW distributor the normal deployment is single disk much as a PG/Router. For an HDS or a logger there is normally at least 2 logical drives with the 1st being for the OS, applications, and basically everything but the data segment of the database. The C drive on those machines is usually mirrored so you can again just go by the size of the disk for C. The D drive is normally configured as raid 5, 10, etc. A Microsoft best practice is to never let your disk drive go above 80% full or you'll start having potential performance impact and that will increase the further the drive fills. The same is true of the database which is why ICM has limits in place where it will automatically start purging over certain thresholds. All this summarizes to the rule of thumb being 80% of your disk on D would be for the data segment of your database. Now the challenge is converting physical space into the number of days of retention you'll get from that space. 50gb database depending on the size and complexity of your environment may last 2-3 days or 2-3 years.

Only other thing I'll add here is that ICM is extremely customizable and you can go from a single disk for everything (obviously not ideal) to a seperate disk for everything. While that is a great thing in general - trying to wrap specific definitions around it is difficult without nitty gritty details and some work :)

Hope that helps!!

Skippy

Thank's. This is the firts time for me installing this and I had to get "a god starting point" I understand that there are a lot of parameters for how much disk space is needed.

I'll start with 72Gb on both C: and D: and then maybe add some more disks.

/Per

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: