cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending VLAN through service provider.

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

The scenario is, we extend some of our clients vlans from our core to the clients edge device through some service providers. This is done by having a interconnect and by running Q and Q trunking which extends our vlan to the place which we can?t reach.

At times while troubleshooting and liaising with other engineers (service providers) I often hear about mapping our vlan ID to some other vlan ID in their network. How its working ??

Can any help me to understand what is mapping and how its working. It will be very helpful if some one posts some link.

Thanks

Rajesh

5 Replies 5

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You might be subscribed to your service provider's MPLS service, or they might be providing it to you as a solution to your objective.

If it is, check the link below Figure 1-4 and Figure 1-5

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps4748/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008019e08f.html#115377

Dandy

No, this is just extending our ordinary VLAN as we do trunking between two switches.

Hi,

In that case, it may be the one that John posted below.

Dandy

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rajesh

Have a look at this link which explains how the customer vlan is mapped to the ISP vlan ID.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080160eba.html

HTH

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rajesh

Apologies for the short answer before, i was in a bit of a rush.

With 802.1q tunneling the service provider takes your vlan tagged traffic and adds it's own vlan ID to the packet. Your vlan ID on the tagged traffic is not changed, it is just encapsulated in another tagged packet. When the traffic reaches the egress point of the Service provider network their tag is stripped leaving your original vlan ID's intact.

Hope this makes sense

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: