cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 Bundle - Configuration thread

paul.coley
Level 1
Level 1

I have just received and installed the CW bundle (Common services,RME,CM,DFM,IPM). I am sifting through the user guides, but I would like to know what others have done regarding there configurations.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your problem could be related to this being SP2. We currently do not support and have not tested SP2. You are recommended to downgrade to SP1. You will not be able to open a TAC service request until you do this.

The log could indicate a database problem, but this could also indicate normal startup. I would recommend a downgrade to SP1, then if the problem persists, get a new dcr.log, and correlate the messages in there to when you see the errors. If they do not line up, then DCR debugging will have to be enabled. Given that this is not a very straight-foward process, you should open a TAC service request at that time.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Specifically what kind of pointers are you looking for? There's a lot involved in LMS.

Here are some points I have written down from the beginning of the install up until general configuration.

- DCA server errors are resolved by server reboot.

- Adding a device in DCR...what is the recommened credentials? I don't want to use my personal TAC ID.Would it be recommended to create a generic ciscoworks account ID on our TAC server?

- I want to create a seed file to discover devices that fall within our IP schema. So far I have manually added two test devices under DCR. Are the seed files setup under DCR?

- I staged the server in our lab using DHCP during the initial install. But I have since moved the server to it's permanent location and have configured a static IP. Is there any configuration required within the ciscoworks setup to reflect the new IP?

We see quite a few customers using a central CiscoWorks account for device access. In this way, users can cross-reference their ACS logs with the audit trail and Change Audit logs in CiscoWorks to determine who is making changes. Few customers actually store personal user credentials in DCR. Even fewer store no credentials in DCR, and rely solely on per-user credentials as job-based usernames and passwords. The advantage of this approach, however, is that the ACS logs will always contain the actual user that made the change.

The seed file is maintained under Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > Discovery Settings. However, any device in DCR becomes a seed for purposes of discovery. If you'd rather manually import devices into DCR from a flat file, this is perfectly fine. In that case, you would never need to run Device Discovery.

DHCP is unsupported, and will break CiscoWorks. Changing an IP address is very easy. Shutdown dmgtd. Find all gatekeeper.ior files under NMSROOT and delete them. If your server is multi-homed, edit NMSROOT/lib/vbroker/gatekeeper.cfg, and follow the commented instructions towards the bottom of this file. Then restart dmgtd, and you're done.

Do you shut down dmgtd from a command prompt? (I.E. NET STOP crmdmgtd)

Also...can you tell me why I have to reboot my server to fix DCA server error messages I receive from time to time? Has the service related to this an issue?

Yes, dmgtd should only be shutdown from the command line. Never use the Service control panel to do this. I always recommend users manually stop dmgtd prior to shutting down or rebooting the server so that all the daemons are cleanly terminated.

I cannot say why a reboot fixes the DCA errors since I don't know exactly what DCA errors you were getting, nor do I know enough about this deployment of CiscoWorks (i.e. OS version, CW version, server specs, etc.).

The last point I wanted to resolve was the DCA errors.

The exact error message is "Error in communicating with DCA Server.

DCA Server may be down. Please start the DCA Server and then refresh the page."

Would a TAC case need to be opened for this?

Possibly, but there's still not enough information to determine what the problem is. What exactly were you doing when you got these errors? What version of CiscoWorks are you using? What OS? What are the server specs? What errors are there in the dcr.log?

I am not doing anything specific when I receive the error. Right now I am just trying to configure Common services, campus manager and device centre. There is no specific time when I receive the error. I came in this morning and when I select DCR I get the error. So I tried to stop/start the crmdmgtd service...that did not work. So I restarted the server and when I did that i still received the error. Only after a few minutes after reboot, did the error go away.

I ran the update CD that came with the bundle and I did a software/device update via the CW application.

- Ciscoworks LMS 2.6

- Common services 3.0.5

- Campus Manager 4.0.8

- Cisco View 6.1.5

- Device fault manager 2.0.8

- Internetwork perf mon 2.6.0

- Integration utility 1.6.0

- RME 4.0.5

Windows 2003 w/SP2

IBM XSERIES 3550 Server hardware

Intel Xeon 3ghz with 4GB RAM

2x75GB RAID 1 Hard drives with one partition

- Cisco Works LMS 2.6

Your problem could be related to this being SP2. We currently do not support and have not tested SP2. You are recommended to downgrade to SP1. You will not be able to open a TAC service request until you do this.

The log could indicate a database problem, but this could also indicate normal startup. I would recommend a downgrade to SP1, then if the problem persists, get a new dcr.log, and correlate the messages in there to when you see the errors. If they do not line up, then DCR debugging will have to be enabled. Given that this is not a very straight-foward process, you should open a TAC service request at that time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: