Views
Helpful
Replies

IP block support on L3 4507 switch

sgopi1977
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

it would be kind of you, if any on can say me how many IP blocks is been supported by 4507 L3 switch. note all the ips are public.

eg: i have 20.1.2.x to 20.1.15.x

and 20.3.x.x and 202.x.x.x series of IP's which i would like to integrate in vlan.

is it posible for me to use CIDR for default route and wht would be my management valan ip and is that management vlan accessable from remote.

Thanks,

Gopi

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gopi

Not sure what you mean by how many ip blocks. The 4500 will support

1) 32000 or 128000 routes depending on the suprevisor you have. ( Sup IV, V, V-10GE support 128000 other 32000).

2) 4500 will support up to 4096 vlans.

So with this information you should be able to work out if this is enough for what you need.

Yes you can use CIDR but this also depends on the routing protocol you choose to use.

You managment vlan can be any vlan you want with any IP address range. Best practice is to use something other than vlan 1.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks you for the explanation,

4507R - Sup V-10GE

Routing Protocol - OSPF

Related to IP blocks.

Eg: i would be creating 15 Vlans within 4507R switch which is going to be directly connected to my Production Servers.

A Group of servers say around 8 would be in vlan10 with ip's 20.1.2.x to 20.1.2.xx

Vlan20 with ip's 20.2.1.x to 20.2.1.xx

Vlan30 with ip's 202.15.2.x 202.15.2.xx

--->>>> my question is ?

like this i would be having different IP-blocks for each VLAN,

so is it possible for inter-vlan communication and all severs communicate outside at the same time.

kindly take a look at the n/w diagram. let me know.

Thanks,

gopi

Hi Gopi

You should be fine with this setup. Yes inter-vlan communcation will work fine as long as you create Layer 3 SVI's (Switched Virtual Interfaces) on your 4500 switches.

Yes they can all communicate at the same time if i understand correctly.

Hope this answers your question

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much,

you have solved my query about it, it had helped me a lot in discussing with my HOD.

Thanks & Regards,

Gopi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card