cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4404 Controller Utility Interface.

darrenj
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. Does anyone know what the utility interface on the 4404 controller is used for? Any reference materials would be very helpful.

Thanks all

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Darren,

My Bad! I kind of knew that I was off-base :( I have searched hi and low and have spoken today with some experts about the Utility Interface and all they can tell me is that it is reserved for "Future" use and serves absolutely no function at this time.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Darren,

I may be "off base" here, but did you mean the Service-Port Interface?

The Service-port Interface is statically mapped by the system only to the physical service port. The service port interface must have an IP address on a different subnet from the Management, AP Manager, and any dynamic interfaces. The service port can get an IP address via DHCP or it can be assigned a static IP address, but a default-gateway cannot be assigned to the Service-port interface. Static routes can be defined in the WLC for remote network access to the Service-port. The Service-port is typically reserved for out-of-band management in the event of a network failure. It is also the only port that is active when the controller is in boot mode. The physical service port is a copper 10/100 Ethernet port and is not capable of carrying 802.1Q tags so it must be connected to an access port on the neighbor switch.

From this excellent WLC doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/prod_technical_reference09186a00806cfa96.html#wp1052072

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for the reponse Rob. Unfortunately, I didn't mean the service port, I know exactly what this is and does. There is also a Utility interface on the 4404 that no document seems to reference.

I'm simply curious as to what this is used for. Maybe it once had a purpose but is no longer used?

Anyone out there know?

Hi Darren

I might be mistaken but what I can remember the Utility Port is not used currently on the WLAN Controller.

It might be used in future. I will try and find my other documentation that mentioned something about the Utility Port.

HTH

Steven

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Darren,

My Bad! I kind of knew that I was off-base :( I have searched hi and low and have spoken today with some experts about the Utility Interface and all they can tell me is that it is reserved for "Future" use and serves absolutely no function at this time.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hello again Rob. What you say certainly puts my mind at rest! I thought it was not currently used as there is no information about it.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Darren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card