cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange issue with ping

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends ... Manoj here ..Need you help to resolve the issue.

I have a router in Japan and am trying to ping a server that is located in US. I have an MPLS link to ISP. When I do a ping to the server, it times out. However, when i do an extended ping with the source as either the LAN or loopback interface and destination as the server, the ping is successfull. I have verified with ISP and they confirmed there is no issue from their end.

Cheers!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

patrickvanham
Level 1
Level 1

The outgoing interface is probably not routable from the destination. When you sepcify loopback or LAN interface the destination is able to return the traffic.

Some MPLS configurations do not assign an IP address to the physical interface and only use loopbacks for connectivity. That may be the case with you. Which interface is outgoing to the ISP and what IP address, if any, is assigned to it? If one is assigned, does the router in the US have a valid return path?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

patrickvanham
Level 1
Level 1

The outgoing interface is probably not routable from the destination. When you sepcify loopback or LAN interface the destination is able to return the traffic.

Some MPLS configurations do not assign an IP address to the physical interface and only use loopbacks for connectivity. That may be the case with you. Which interface is outgoing to the ISP and what IP address, if any, is assigned to it? If one is assigned, does the router in the US have a valid return path?

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Manoj,

When you initiate a normal ping bydefault it takes the source ip of your exit interface. I believe your remote end router does not have a route back to your wan interface of Japan router.

Can you access your remote end router and do "sh ip route " and see if the route is available.

Also check for any ACLs on Japan as well as remote end router.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankus,

As i dont have access to US routers, i just checked with the US team and they confirmed that they do not accept our MPLS interface ip, hence direct ping is not working. Thanks for your assitance. Appreciate very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: