cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM errors

nikolay-shopik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone could someone tell me what this error means?

dslsar_ng_transmit_pak_wrapper: deq(474C0A84). ATM vcd=1 Transmit VCD=1

dslsar_ng_transmit_pak_wrapper : encap = Data

I'm using IP over ATM, with simple configuration like that -

interface ATM0/0/0

description MTU-intel

ip address 62.118.209.xxy 255.255.255.252

no atm ilmi-keepalive

dsl operating-mode auto

pvc 1/50

protocol ip 62.118.209.xxy broadcast

protocol ip 62.118.209.xxz broadcast

encapsulation aal5snap

!

And I can't ping interface itself, I can only have connectiviy from my other network which is attached to FA0/0 interface with routable internet address.

24 Replies 24

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

which router and interface ? Which IOS ?

you should try a point-to-point subinterface:

int atm ATM0/0/0

no ip address

no pvc 1/150

pvc 1/16 ilmi

int atm ATM0/0/0.150 point-to-point

ip address ...

pvc 1/50

encapsulation aal5snap

Check pvc status with show atm pvc and try to ping interface itself again.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

I'm running on cisco 2811 with 12.4(11)XJ3 IOS and HWIC-1ADSL.

my ISP assign me a /28 network, on ATM interface I have addresses from different network, on FA0/0 I have my /28 network. So its looks like

ISP_ATM(xx.xx.xx.xx/30)->My_ATM_IF(yy.yy.yy.yy/30)->FA0/0(zz.zz.zz.zz/28)

I'll try your suggestion but I suppose this will brake my routing, anyway I will post if it succeseful or not.

No it will not break routing. ISP will not even notice the change that is just a logical one.

The /30 is on ADSL / ATM subinterface, and /28 on fastethernet. Absolutely clean and correct.

I see no difference at all after change to this configuration. Still can't ping interface from router itself only if I change ping source and put FA0 interface as source our ping outside.

And I can't initiate any connections from ATM interface at all.

The symptoms you describe "ping works only with source fa0" says that the ATM is working but there is a routing problem.

Does the ISP assigns you an address for ATM ?

You said you took the address from different network, which network ?

Since you can ping with FA0 address, also the PCs connected should be working, have you verified that ? Have you set a default route pointing to atm0/0/0.150 or to IP address ?

ISP assign /30 network one IP on ISP ATM and one IP on my ATM.

Routing working just fine, I'm writing this message when I behind this router.

I just wonder why I can't ping interface itself and can't initiate connections from this interface at all.

Because your source address is one that the ISP does not route you back.

Hence my question from were did you picked the address put on atm0/0/0.150.

Do you still see errors?

If you see a post that you think deserves recognition, please take a moment to rate it.

You maybe misunderstood me, let me explain little more.

We had cisco 678 which is ISP provided hardware now we are move to our hardware.

/30 network with addresses taken from 678 router config plus our /28 network.

Ok,

so the address on ATM are valid and assigned by ISP.

Perhaps they set access list so that you can't do anything with these addresses. After all, you are not supposed to, as the addresses actually assigned to you are the LAN ones.

Were you able to ping or connected from these addresses when using the 678 ?

If you want to be able to ping or originate connections from it, ask your ISP if possible.

As an appreciation to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

Well looks like ISP something messup with this routing but maybe its behaviour by design.

2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 81.195.xxx.xxx (my net)

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 30 ms 16 ms 33 ms 10.230.4.102

5 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms 10.238.3.9

6 10.238.3.9 reports: Destination host unreachable.

addres on my atm interface should be reachaeble right after second hope but it goes even deeper and get unreachebles.

Anyway i suppose this is limit ISP limitation. Errors didn't gone also but they didn't broke anything as I see.

Perhaps they simply changed the address without telling, when you traceroute to the address supposed to be on the other side of ATM, and it continues, for sure the address is not configured there.

How often are you seeing the errors? What IOS are you using ?

I can traceroute address on other side of atm just fine:

2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 81.195.xxx.xxx

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 15 ms 16 ms 16 ms 10.230.4.102

5 31 ms 31 ms 30 ms 62.118.209.xxz

Look for third message in this topic for IOS version I'm running.

Hi,

can you do a sanity check on xxz and xxy to see if they fall correctly in the /30 ? What if you traceroute to both addresses for outside using a public server ?

There is something strange, as you can traceroute other side address but not your own from inside.

ISP-set access list can confuse things, but in general if you can ping from another subnet, you must be able to do same from inside.

Hi,

I can ping ISP_ATM interface just fine from outside of my network, but not mine.

Yeah I also agree about that, what I MUST able ping my own interface at least.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: