BB & HSRP --- Please advice

Amin Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need suggestions before going for HSRP

My Current Setup:-

HeadOffce (HO) connected to Sales (SO) via Wireless Connection 2Mbps

At HO we have 3550 Multilayer Switch and 3640 CoreRouter.

At SO we have 2960 Switch and 2600 Router.

Topology::

HO[3550----3640]==========[2600-----2960]SO

I would be having another WAN Link Wireless 2mbps between HO and SO.

At SO the new link would be terminated on 2600 since additional ethernet port is available.

At HQ Can I terminate the new WAN link on 3550 and configure HSRP.

Currently The default-Gateway for the users is 3550 { Why : because we have 3 VLANS configured and one of the VLANS is the user-farm }

Please advice

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

you could do HSRP is this topology, but it would not give youadvantages. In fact, if you configure one link on 3550 and other on 3640, one link would never be used. Just configure the new link on both routers and it will load share traffic.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

You mean configure the new link at HQ on 3640 Router. With this I wont get redundancy in case the router fails.

The thing is that you do not have two routers, but one only, and a L3 switch. What happens for example if the 3550 fails ? Your is a small network and inevitably will have single-points of failure. In fact, if your links are delivered as ethernet, you could eliminate the 3640 altogether (if not used for anything else).

If you are happy with paying with two circuits, but using only because you are worried about the router, you can do HSRP. But I would not recommend that, because in practice you will realize that it give no adavantage whatsoever in your configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card