Vlan

Unanswered Question
May 10th, 2007
User Badges:

guys a v basic confusion but i cant get my head around it........adding vlans can be done in two ways.....plz correct me if i m wrong.....from vlan database and from config mde....(vlan 33 enter) now guys plz make me clear that why two ways even if i got to vlan data base and try to add it says warning an dsays that it shd be added from config mode.....so even if i configure it from configration mode will it be added in data base automatically.???....cheers and thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ankbhasi Thu, 05/10/2007 - 21:30
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Guroo,

Vlan database was very old tradional configuration mode for vlans.

You can configure normal-range VLANs (with VLAN IDs 1 to 1005) by using both the configuration modes but you must use config-vlan mode when creating extended-range VLANs (VLAN IDs greater than 1005).

When you go to vlan database mode and enter vlan ? you will not get any option for vlan id greater than 1005 but when you go to config mode and enter vlan ? you will get an option for extended vlan id also.

To create extended vlan id switch should be in transparent mode.

The configurations of VLAN IDs 1 to 1005 are always saved in the VLAN database (vlan.dat file). If the VTP mode is transparent, they are also saved in the switch running configuration file.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Actions

This Discussion