Views
Helpful
Replies

ip tracking

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

i would like to traceout the ip address by the switch port, can anebody tell how we can traceout.

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If i understand you correct, you want to know the IP address connected to a switchport.

From the network router do "show arp", and on the switch do "sh mac-address-table".

And map, the MAC to IP to the switchport using the output you've got.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Moahmmed Mahmoud.

hi

thank u 4 ur good idea I loged on my switch & I given command "sh mac-address-table" then it was showing all macadds & ports but what is the next command shall I give to get IP of the particular port

Hi,

Take the MAC address attached to that specific switchport from the switch output, copy it and then access your network router and then by using "show ip arp | i " and you'll get the IP address.

P.S Jon has stated it nicely too.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

hi mohammed.

I got it by u r help of commands.

Regards

Naidu

Hi Mohammed

Thank u so much I got it by your help of commands.

Hi,

You are always welcomed, please do come back if you have further questions.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Could you clarify what you want.

if you want to find out what the Ip address of a client attached to your switch is you need to first look at switch mac address table.

Find the mac address attached to the port then go onto the nearest layer 3 device and do a "sh ip arp | include "

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card