Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR Routers Security Bundles

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am sending to ask about the ISR security bundles which is more expensive than the regualar software. So, If I want to implement mainly the firewall features plus NATing on my ISR router, I know that the regular router software can do it, but what advantage would the security SW bundle provide and please advise whether it is more recommended in my case for firewalling and NATing or not.

Also, what main features are available in the security bundle which are not available in the regular software? Is 3DES for example not available in the non-security bundle?

Thanks,

Haitham

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Haitham

The fact that the security bundle gives you the security feature set is a small part of what you get in the security bundle. The security bundle also gives the VPN acceleration module (improves performance as compared to the built in acceleration) and I believe that it also gives more memory and more flash than just ordering the normal chassis.

You can certainly order the ISR with the security feature set and get all the software functionality without getting the bundle. Whether the VPN accelerator module and the extra memory and flash are worth the increment in cost is something you would need to determine based on your own environment and requirements.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response, but in order to make sure I got you right, if I am only interested in Firewalling and NATing do I still need to order the security bundle or can I just order the standard software?

Regards,

Haitham

Haitham

You got me mostly correctly: if you just want to do firewalling and NATing then just order the feature set that includes those and do not worry about the security bundle.

I am a little concerned about your reference to "just order the standard software". I believe that the standard software supports NAT but I do not believe that it supports firewall. To get the firewall function I believe that you need to order the advanced security feature set (but not necessarily the security bundle).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card