cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking IBM Blade Center to Cat 6513

anthonysgroi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, we are trying to properly trunk our IBM blade Center to our 6513, the blade center has the cisco ethernet switch mod. The problems is that in our production network be do not route vlan 1, and on the cisco module vlan 1 is the switch's ip address and cannot be modified. so right now we have it working but we have a native vlan mismatch. the 6513 is the vtp server and the blade is a client. Any pointers on how to do this the "right way" would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The switch is managed thru a connection to actual bladeserver (management port) not the cisco switchcards . Switch/bladecenter traffic flows out ports 17,18,19,20 (except switch management traffic) so you just have to be concerned what vlans you want on the trunk , vlan 1 does not have to be on there unless you put your servers into vlan 1. If you put your servers into say vlan 10 and 11 just trunk 10 and 11 and match the native vlan that is used on the 6513.

This is exactly what we did with all our blade centers. :) Hes 100% correct

(since he works for IBM i would hope so :P )

Hey thank you very much. No more native vlan mismatch. Im not sure why we didnt try that.

Hi..

I am planning to take blade server with cisco switches.. I want to coonect to core switch as a etherchannel..

I am planning to use mgmt vlan 20 in core switch for all my equipments..

As per this forum I can not shutdown the vlan1..How can I allow vlan 20 in my blade switche and make it as mgmt vlan.....

And also I need simple info on this blade switches....

like which ports need to be mgmt and uplinks etc...

I am newbee to this blade servers...

Thanks in advance...

Regards

sateesh kumar.k

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card