Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchanneling between Point to Point WAN link

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

my ISP is providing point-to-point connectivity between my 2 offices,with two 2Mbps line, which will be ethernet output, so i will connecting it on my Switch directly, so if i do etherchanneling, across WAN (being an Ethernet Output) will it work,can i achieve 4Mbps?(being a WAN link of same bandwidth)

i know i can configure virtual templete which i hav already done with serial ports.

on LAN i hav done etherchanneling between the 3750's.

5 Replies 5

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

you will have ethernet connection at both the end right!!! if it is so then i think you will have static route with the same AD will be the solution or you might have option of using the tunneling and then routing protocol on it...

if you are talking about the MULTILINK PPP then its not possible on Ethernet...

let see for other expert replies...

regards

Devang

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to contact your ISP and verify if they are tunneling PAgP or LACP. If they do, you can certainly form an etherchannel.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12225see/scg/swtunnel.htm

Thanks Devang & also Edison really the document you provided was useful. Also can i achieve the the same, if i am using with 2 different service providerz?

Different providers ?

That's a good question but I don't see why not. As long as they are tunneling PAgP or LACP, it's up to you to form the etherchannel. They have to use the same L2Prototocol tunneling.

Hi,

In total honesty, etherchannel over 2 x 2 mbps links is something unheard of before. Beside all the obvious problems (large mismatch in speeds, no possibility of QoS) you can end with poor balance due to the algorithm used in switches.

I would never recommend such a design, the proper way to use WAN circuits is with routers in a routed configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card