Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing Router Console / Aux using modem

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

I have been stuck trying configure to access my router with modem attached to console or aux port so that I can access it remotely without any issues.

However despite all my attempts of configuration, the communication NEVER even completes the modem handshaking.

I can't see why there is an issue and what could be an issue.

I have figured out that there is no issues with neither the router nor the modem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

5 Replies 5

med_ddevlin
Level 1
Level 1

what model is the modem you are using?

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Normally you need:

Router# conf t

Router(config)# line con 0

Router(config-line)# login

Router(config-line)# password cisco

Router(config-line)# exec-time 5 0

Router(config-line)# speed 9600

But please check if you need extra Configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/76/9.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Wilson,

If the modem doesn't complete handshaking that sounds like the dip switch settings aren't correct for dialing in. Check the modem vendor web site or lookup on google for the correct dip switch settings and give it a try.

HTH

Sundar

Hi Sundar,

Thanks for your clue.

I changed the modem and now its fine, however I'm still surprized that how come 2 different USR Modems behave the same way i.e. get stuck in the handshaking?

Anyways, I have initiated a small case with USR Supprt and waiting to from them.

Thanks all others who contributed...

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The AUX port is your best bet. The console port does not have hardware handshake lines - it's made more for a terminal than a modem.

The AUX port, by default also does autobaud and autopolarity (DTE/DCE).

Here's a list from a search from the main Cisco site:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/search.pl?searchPhrase=connect+modem+to+console+port&accessLevel=Guest&language=en&country=US&Search+All+Cisco.com=cisco.com

Pick a document that fit's your scesnario ...

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: