CCNA - Switch models for study?

Unanswered Question
May 11th, 2007

Hi All,

In terms of study purposes, what are the pros/cons of the various switch models? ie 2950, 2924XL, 1900-en, etc.

I know the 1900 series isn't much good unless you get an enterprise model but what other differences are there?

I know some would be faster and may have gig uplinks etc, but what other differences are there in terms of what is supported by them which is needed for study?

At this stage I am unsure if I will go for CCNP afterwards but at this stage this is for CCNA only.

Also from what I have seen in training guides etc, there doesn't seem to be the same level of 'need' or hands on experience needed as much anyways compared to routers. There doesn't seem to be too much troubleshooting compared to routing etc? The reason I say this is because I have a basic non-cisco switch that I could use if this is the case?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tperrier Sat, 05/12/2007 - 00:10

You'll have to know how to configure a Cisco switch, so using another brand has no interest. I'd recommend a 2950, they're affordable (check eBay, etc.) and still adequate for the CCNP I think; prefer a EI (Extended Image) version, that is, 2950C, 2950T or 2950G. The 1900 doesn't really run the IOS and should be avoided. The 2900XL and 3500XL are the minimum, but getting really old.

Actions

This Discussion