Views
Helpful
Replies

AutoQoS - any good in a none VOIP environment

rickd12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is AutoQos really only good for networks that carry voice and video? I am looking at implementing Qos on all my WAN links but they only carry data. Would I get any benefits from AutoQos or should I be looking at a different approach?

thanks

Richard

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

hi,

The first phase of Cisco AutoQoS targets Voice over IP (VoIP) deployments for customers who want to deploy IP telephony, but who lack the expertise and/or staffing to plan and deploy IP QoS and IP services.

Using Cisco AutoQoS, VoIP traffic is automatically provided with the required QoS template for voice traffic by configuring autoqos voip on an interface or PVC. Cisco AutoQoS enables the required QoS based on Cisco best practice methodologies (the configuration generated by Cisco AutoQoS can be modified if desired).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6613/products_white_paper09186a00801348bc.shtml

We can discuss your QoS needs and try to conclude the best approach to reach them.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

If your WAN links would only consists on data traffic, Auto QoS would not be a good option. Auto QoS is greatly helpful if you have a totally IP telephony environment. Under Auto QoS, all your data traffic marking with be set to default dscp value which is not you would desire. Hence, configuring using MQC would be the best option.

Hi,

I totaly aggree with you. And for Auto QOS you realy don't know whats going on :)

BR,

Bjornarsb

This post pops-up when I'm trying to look for benefits of AutoQOS on non-VoIP network.

I'm thinking of putting-up one but instead of voice, it will be a mix of data and video files.

Will it still make sense to use QOS?

Hi,

In case you have no voip then AutoQoS for the Enterprise helps you to setup an initial policy. I wrote initial policy, because with changing applications or bandwidth demands one has to adjust the QoS policy to the modified requirements. The idea of AutoQoS for the Enterprise is to first discover the traffic over an interface and then suggest a QoS policy based on best practices and the traffic measurements.

So you will get some useful information, yet the best practices might not be applicable or sufficient in your environment.

The underlying reason for this statement is that not every data network uses the same priority for the same applications. More than that, sometimes applications are configured to use non standard ports, f.e Webservers listening to port 81 and such.

AutoQoS can not discover that unless you configure NBAR port maps to take that into account.

Yet I do consider it to be a very useful feature, as knowing something is better than knowing nothing about traffic over an interface, when implementing a QoS policy.

For technical details have a look at "AutoQoS for the Enterprise"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080455a3f.html

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

Thanks Martin, the Enterprise version is also what I have in mind (am downloading the IOS at the very moment :-))

I'll be applying AutoQOS on my 2801 FE0 port which is facing an ISP but the docs say it has restrictions to the ffg (below). Anything I'm missing here?

-Serial interfaces with PPP or High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC).

-Frame Relay DLCIs in point-to-point subinterfaces only

-ATM PVCs

-Frame Relay-to-ATM Interworking link

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco