cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with module in 6500

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

2007 May 12 08:06:37 IST +05:30 %SYS-5-MOD_NOSCPPINGRESPONSE:Module 6 not respon

ding... resetting module

2007 May 12 08:06:37 IST +05:30 %SYS-5-MOD_RESET:Module 6 reset from Software

The above are the messages i have recieved. I did the error decoder from Cisco. Nothing much, has anyone faced this before? Do let me know?

Attaching other outputs:

Just curious is it a problem if i have this 6248 module when all my other modules are 6348. Any other suggestions are welcome

-Hoogen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Hoogen,

Yes if the counter does not increment it means it could me one time issue. Also if incase you are planning to upgrade then you will reload the switch once and before doing the same I will recommend you to set the diag level to complete with a command "set test diaglevel complete" and then only reload the switch.

Also incase in future let us cross our finger is should not happen again but incase if it happens then it really need further troubleshooting and replacing the card to other slot and observing that if it is a problem with the card or slot.

But as of now I believe it is working smooth.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hoogen,

This module failed to respond to SCP ping responses from the Supervisor module probably because module 6 was real busy and failed to respond within time so the sup powered module 6 down and it got resetted.

SCP ping is basically a health check done by the sup to all the line cards in the chassis.

Can you please confirm if this was one time message or you are continuously getting this message in your logs.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for you valuable inputs. Yes this was a one time message. But i am worried since my customer has almost 40 servers in this module. THe module fortunately went down when there was not much production so i am kind of worried.

I did go through the Cisco docs and do understand the SCP communication that the supervisor does with all its modules, i know that there is no hardware failure or power issues related to this module, but I wouldn't like it going down again, what do you suggest? Is it anyway possible to increase the timing of these keepalive messages.

It's very tough convincing the customer that the module will not go down again. I have asked for more detail logs from my customer, is there something else which you would like to look into?

Thanx

-Hoogen

Hi Hoogen,

I do agree it is very tough to explain customers especially when all servers are connected to this module.

Also if modules are not seated properly they can miss SCP pings but I believe it was working fine and you got this messages all of sudden once right? Sometimes reseating the module also resolve this issue.

Can you get the following outputs from your customer switch

show scp module

show inband

show outband

show scp stat

show scp proc

test scp 6

Regards,

Ankur

Really appreciate your help, i will let you know ASAP and do some research myself.

-Hoogen

Hi,

Some outputs you have asked i am aattaching others do not seem to work. Would appreciate any kind of feedback on the logs.

-Hoogen

Hi Hoogen,

There is no attachment?

Regards,

Ankur

Oops.. missed that.

Attaching them now.

-Hoogen

Hi Ankur were you able to find anything in that log?

-Hoogen

Hi Hoogan,

Sorry for late response as I thaught to look the outputs in detail so that I must not miss anything.

I checked and all look to be ok as of now. I will suggest you to reconfirm few things

Run this command "show scp mod 6" atleats 5 times at a interval of 10 -20 seconds each and look for incrementing SCP retries and Total/Consecutive Missing Status Polls. I believe "Total Missing Status Polls : 1" is constant and should not increment.

Also run this command "sh outband" couple of times at a interval of 10-20 seconds

and in the following output

BZO_6509-2> (enable) sh outband

Ethernet Out of Band Channel Information

Device state: 1 Device Base Address: 0x0

Device MAC Address (47..0): 0x0 0 11 0 0 0

Device Multicast Address (47..0):

1 0 82 0 0 0

1 0 85 0 0 0

Tx Descriptor Info

Base : 0xa19323f0 Length : 512

Head : 220 Tail : 220 Count : 0

Rx Descriptor Info

Base : 0xa19333f0 Length : 512

Head : 478 Tail : 385 Count : 93

Packet Info

Successfully Rx Pkts: 648846054 Error Rx Pkts: 246 <<<<<<<<<<<<------

Broadcast Rx Pkts: 1313670 Multicast Rx Pkts: 66477712

Successfully Tx Pkts: 753155802 Retry Err Pkts: 0 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----

Check the counter where I have marked arrow.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Let me assure you that in no way you are giving me a late response. Somethings i am learning from you are new, and your posts are really helpful. I appreciate your responses.

Coming back to your response so if do not notice any increment, does that mean that it was a one of case, and probably make my customer comfortable about it? The switch seems to have been running for almost a year without any maintainence shutdown would you recommend any maintainence recommedation so basic things like clearing counters and propabably upgradation 7.6(20) can be done. I see a few other bugs which have been resolved and probably relates to the customer's switching environment.

-Hoogen

Hi Hoogen,

Yes if the counter does not increment it means it could me one time issue. Also if incase you are planning to upgrade then you will reload the switch once and before doing the same I will recommend you to set the diag level to complete with a command "set test diaglevel complete" and then only reload the switch.

Also incase in future let us cross our finger is should not happen again but incase if it happens then it really need further troubleshooting and replacing the card to other slot and observing that if it is a problem with the card or slot.

But as of now I believe it is working smooth.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: