Helpful
Replies

rate-limit query

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I have an interface configured with rate-limit command as below

rate-limit output access-group 140 64000 8000 8000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Can you plz help me understand what does the values 8000 & 8000 are? I am a bit confused with reading the command syntax from cisco. Also plese help me know how these values are calculated. Thx a lot.

- Manoj

4 Replies 4

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Burst is a term used in a number of information technology contexts to mean a specific amount of data sent or received in one intermittent operation. It can be contrasted with streamed, paced, or continuous. Generally, a burst operation implies that some threshold has been reached that triggers the burst. Depending on the particular technology, a burst operation can be intermittent at a regular or an irregular rate.

To obtain the best use of burst-size and excess-burst-size, specify only the required bit-rate value. The software will automatically tune the other values for optimum performance.

BR,

Bjornarsb

Will my traffic for that particular access-list be limited to 64K or something more than that. If more, what would be the actual figure.

Yes, average 64 K long-term

and you will also allow bursts (at the configured size) before traffic is concidered to exceed the rate-limit.

This makes you get a more nicer "curve"

BR,

Bjornarsb

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

How about traffic shaping instead?

The excess traffic is queued.

If the switch fabric queues overflow, the traffic is dropped.

traffic-shape group {target-bit-rate | bit per interval }

Br,

Bjornarsb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card