BSCI EIGRP Default Route

Unanswered Question
May 12th, 2007

On page 17 of the bsci quick reference PDF, it states that the following config will create a static default route and then include it in EIGRP:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.2

router eigrp 7

network 0.0.0.0

My book states that eigrp will only pass a quad zero static default route if it uses an interface, not an ip address, in the ip route statement.

Which is correct?

Also on the same page, the "ip default-network 10.0.0.0" makes no note of the restrictions on using this method...ie that 10.0.0.0 must be included in the eigrp process "network 10.0.0.0"

I guess 10.0.0.0 could already be passed into the eigrp process by another router...

Am I out of my mind here?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
CSCO10892433 Wed, 05/16/2007 - 02:11

Hi, Paul

Do a lab test on your questions. Here is my conclusion:

1.A static route using a interface as the next-hop will be considerded directly connected.

2.A static route using an ip address (must be reachable) as the next-hop will be considerded a normal static route.

3.Network command under the eigrp process only has effect on directly connected routes.

4.A directly connected static routes will be advertised out if there is a network command incluldes this route, while a normal static route will not.

5. For those nomal static routes on which the network command has no effect, use redistribute static command instead.

6. Both 0.0.0.0/0 and default route defined by the "ip defalut-network" command apply to the same criteria. If they are directly conneted, use network command to advertise them out. If they are via a next-hop ip address, use redistribute static command instead.

HTH

SSLIN

Actions

This Discussion