Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Ping and telnet from PC to 2950 switch

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

I've created management vlan 100 in 2950 , 4000 and 6500 swithes.Connectivity is as below.

2950 ---6500---4000 ----PC .

And i've created few other vlans in 6500 and 4000 switches.I am able to telnet & ping to 2950 from PC which is connected to 4000 switch when my PC is kept in management vlan .Suppose if i configure my pc in different vlan IP i cann't ping or telnet to 2950 switch.managment vlan and native vlan in 2950 switch are different.

2950 switch config:

interface vlan 100

ip address x.x.x.x ---management vlan

int f0/0

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk vlan 101 native allowed vlan 100.

6500 config:

interface vlan 100

ip address x.x.x.x --- management vlan

interface vlan 101

no ip address ---- native vlan

interface vlan 200

ip address x.x.x.x

interface vlan 300

ip address x.x.x.x

4000 config:

interface vlan 100

ip address x.x.x.x --- management vlan

interface vlan 101

no ip address ---- native vlan

interface vlan 200

no ip address

interface vlan 300

no ip address

Thanks,

Satish

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Satish,

There's no need to configure the 'management' keyword under the vlan interface. As you may know 2950 is strictly a layer 2 switch and you can have only one vlan interface configured and active on it at any given time. If the default native int vlan 1 was up then vlan 100 int wouldn't have come up at all. Given the fact you are able to ping the 2950 from your PC when the PC is on vlan 100 there's nothing wrong with int vlan 100 configuration on the 2950.

As you are able to ping the 2950 when the user is on vlan 100 but not from another vlan that indicates a potential problem with the PC or 2950 IP configuration as inter-vlan connectivity is what fails. Is the 2950 configured with a 'ip default-gateway' and was the PC configured correct gateway address for whatever vlan it was on.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I believe you have to declare the vlan as a management vlan (keyword is management I think)

For either of those devices, the native and the management VLAN can be different, so you must specifically declare both, or the management VLAN remains as VLAN 1.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott ,

Thanks for your quick reply....To make vlan 100 as a management vlan on 2950 i need to specify management keywork under that particular interface.

int vlan 100

ip address x.x.x.x

management

I think if there is no "management " keywork under vlan 100 , vlan 1 would be the management vlan.Am i correct ?

I checked the same using the below link...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc6/cli/clicmds.htm#xtocid53

I will check it and get back to you soon...

Thanks,

Satish

Satish,

There's no need to configure the 'management' keyword under the vlan interface. As you may know 2950 is strictly a layer 2 switch and you can have only one vlan interface configured and active on it at any given time. If the default native int vlan 1 was up then vlan 100 int wouldn't have come up at all. Given the fact you are able to ping the 2950 from your PC when the PC is on vlan 100 there's nothing wrong with int vlan 100 configuration on the 2950.

As you are able to ping the 2950 when the user is on vlan 100 but not from another vlan that indicates a potential problem with the PC or 2950 IP configuration as inter-vlan connectivity is what fails. Is the 2950 configured with a 'ip default-gateway' and was the PC configured correct gateway address for whatever vlan it was on.

HTH

Sundar

Hi Sundar ,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually the setup is as below.

2950 switch - 6500 switch --4000 switch---PC.

When the PC's ip is in mamanagement Vlan address range then am able to do telent to 2950 switch from PC.Few other vlans ae configured on 6500 and 4000 switches.If i configure my PC in different vlan then am not able to do telent to 2950 switch.

What could be the reason.

Thanks,

Satish

Hi Sundar ,

Thanks for your help...We configured IP default gateway on 2950 switch and able to access the switch from any vlan configured on 4500 switch...

I think default gateway must be configured on L2 for accessing it from different vlans.

Thanks,

satish

Hi Scott ,

Management keyword is not supported by 2950 switch...means whichever ios we are using may not support it..

But problem was resolved after configuring ip deafult gateway on 2950 switch.

Thanks,

Satish

thiyagarajang
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I thik u have to configure Inter VLAN routing on 4000 and 6500 switches.

sathishs10
Level 1
Level 1

hi i think the management vlan is default vlan1 ,when u place ur pc in the in mangement vlan i.e vlan 1 then u'll b able to ping ,but if u change ur pc ip to some other vlan's ip address then u cant ping with out introducing layer3 device.

this is because vlan creates broadcast domains.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco