Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade question

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I wasn't exactly sure where to ask this question but I've always received great answers here so I thought I'd give it shot.

What does a person upgrade to if their current feature set no longer exists in a particular release line.

For example, an older 1720 router we have is running something in the 12.1 line with a feature set of IP PLUS IPSEC 3DES.

This particular feature set disappears after 12.2 and I was hoping to install 12.3 so all of my routers are consistant.

Thank you,

Denny

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Denny

It really depends on what features you need in your IOS.

Attached is a link to the Cisco Feature Navigator. Here you can select an IOS version and ensure that it has the features you need.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply. I've already gone through the Cisco Feature Navigator several times and found the minimum feature set that supports the feature I need to use, I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to legally use that feature set.

For example,

What I need is IPSec 3DES. For a 1720 in version 12.3 it appears this is only available in the following feature set, IP/ADSL/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES. My current feature set is just IP PLUS IPSEC 3DES (no FW or IDS)

Although I have a current Cisco maintenance contract, it's my understanding I can only upgrade versions within my current feature set.

I haven't been able to find anything on the Cisco site that clarifies this one way or the other.

Thank you,

Denny

Denny

The feature navigator as suggested by Jon is a good tool. Another similar one is the Software Advisor which is available in the tools section under the Support tab on the Cisco web site. I used it to look for images for the 1720 (which is pretty old at this point). I find only one feature set listed which includes the support for IPSEC 3DES which is the feature set listed as IP/ADSL/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES. I believe that this is the feature set that you need for your 1720. I believe that you would probably be entitled to upgrade to it based on your current feature set (the fact that it includes FW and IDS seems to me to be less important that the fact that this is the only feature set with IPSEC 3DES). If you really want to be sure I guess you could check with your Cisco account team (if you have an account team) or perhaps you could check with Cisco TAC about this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I agree this is the feature set I need.

My question is am I allowed to upgrade to it under my Smartnet contract?

What I am confused about is it has additional features that I currently don't have in my feature set.

As I understand it, at one point if I wanted the FW/IDS features I would have had to purchase that feature set.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you,

Denny

Denny

I did a bit of editing of my response after it was first submitted and I am not sure if you saw the final version of my response.

I would feel comfortable with downloading that feature set under your SmartNet contract since it is the only one that provides IPSEC 3DES. If you want to verify I would suggest that you check with your Cisco Account team (if you have an account team) or check with Cisco TAC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your reply. That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted to confirm it since I found nothing clearly stating this.

Hmmmm, I wonder if this would also mean I get to use the FW and IDS features by default?

Anyhow, thank you again for your reply,

Denny

Denny

My opinion would be that when you upgrade between major versions that new functions are frequently added within a particular feature set. When you upgrade your 1720 from 12.1 to 12.3 and stay within the feature set that supports IPSEC and 3DES, if FW and IDS are now in that feature set I would feel free to use them. (note: since I do not work for Cisco, my opinion is not authoritative for this, but I believe that you should feel free to use these features).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card