cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot boot router

deepa_network
Level 1
Level 1

The boot image on flash and bootflash is corrupted.router remains in rommon.when trying to load IOS to flash using tftpdnld in rommon says insufficient flash installed to load image.

how do i delete a flash from rommon or boot the router.Plz help

23 Replies 23

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

hi,

rommon 1 > dir bootflash: --> To get the image name

Then,

rommon 2 > del bootflash:

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

But when i give the command

dir bootflash:

says

device doesnot contain a valid file system

dir:cannot open device "bootflash:"

Thank you for your quick response.Your further help will be highly appreciated!

Hi,

It seems that you'll need to format it, can you please send the "rommon 1 > dev" output.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Output for dev is as follows

rommon>dev

flash:

bootflash:

eprom:

when i issue the command

>dir flash:

dir:cannot open device "flash"

>dir bootflash:

dir:cannot open device "bootflash"

>dir eprom:

dir:cannot open device "eprom"

sathishs10
Level 1
Level 1

hi i think when u tried

dir bootflash:-----if it shows error reading cannot open ....etc ,then ios might b corrupted ,then try to load ios.

again ios can be loaded in two ways tftp and thru console, actually when u r loading ios from tftp u'll get a message to erase existing flash then a series of eeeeeeeeeee's u'l get then new image will be loaded. or try thru console method

thanks

when i try to load a new IOS thru tftp (cmand used:tftpdnld) it gives me the message

TFTP:Error, insufficient flash installed to load image.

TFTP:Operation terminated

Is there any command in rommon by which i can erase the flash as it didnt ask me automatically to erase flash.

Hi Deepa ,

Tryout loading IOS image of small size for booting the router first using xmodem .If you use xmodem it deletes the existing image whichis in flash automatically while loading the newer image.

Download IOS image of smaller size and try out once again.

Don't go for bigger Image as there is no sufficient place in flash.

Can i have series of your router.

Thanks,

Satish

Hi Deepa,

I'll go with Satish's advice and say that you can load a small IOS via xmodem, for more information about using the Xmodem protocol, see the Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon at the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/130/xmodem_generic.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thankyou for your help.

My router is 1841.

sathishs10
Level 1
Level 1

hi please check out space left in flash and ios image size which u r going to install, and try to load it thru console using xmodem

how do i check out free space in flash when im in rommon mode.i tried using xmodem to copy a small IOS to flash using command

rommon>xmodem c1841-XXXXX.bin

ERR:Not enough memory to download image

Is there a boot command in rommon to boot from an external IOS in tftp or any other source?

Hi Deepa ,

Another procedure is there ..But i don't know how it works for you..I tried it for 3660 router and uploaded IOS successfully..

Instead of loading IOS in flash . try to load the IOS in RAM using xmodem as below.

xmodem - r Imagename.

Image will be loaded in RAM and router boots using the newer image.After that erase flash from config mode and load the required image...Reload the router once you load the image using copy tftp flah

Whatever image is stored in RAM will go off and router boots from image stored in flash.

Hope it helps you...

Thanks,

Satish

i tried giving this command

xmodem -r c1841-XXXXX.bin

Ready to receive file ....

time out waiting for data- aborting download

what else can i try???

I tried something different i set the confreg to 0x2100 and gave the command

rommon>boot system ROM

the following error :

-boot:cannot open "flash"

-an alternate bootldr is not set

-cannot load "system ROM"

am i trying to do something possible???

hi i think after u type x modem -r c1841-xxxx

when u r prompted ready to recieve file then go to transfer-> send file and then select image then it 'll take the image ...hope it works

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: