cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Failover

cool_mhar04
Level 1
Level 1

Hi sir, i am going to confgure an EIGRP routing protocol based on my WAN connection i had two point to point connection going to same destination, this two point to point lines is located in same building and it is directed toward the same destination. How can i be able to configure using this EIGRP to fail over to my fisrt line, since im going to use the second one line as active?

FYI

I am going to use the same router going to the same destination.

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can either manipulate the bandwidth under the interfaces, or you can use the offset-list to increase the metric of the routes received from the other link in order to force it to act as backup.

But note that you need to manipulate it on both sides (the 2 routers facing each other) for symmetric routing. (both upload/download).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c2d96.shtml

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Friend,

EIGRP would automatically load balance the traffic between multiple paths (default 4) as long as all the link sare of equal metric. In case of a link failure, all the traffic would fail over to the other link.

If you want to use the links as active-passive, you can either manipulate the bandwidth as suggested by mohammed or manipulate delay. Delay would be preferred as this would not affect any other routing protocols or QoS configured on your interfaces if any.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hi,

As Narayan has said, you must consider first whether your requirement is to load balance over the 2 equal metric links (which is done automatically, for 4 links by default, up to 6 routes - 16 in new IOS since 12.3), and more over EIGRP also supports unequal metric load sharing.

Your other solution is to have it in a primary/backup scenario by either manipulation bandwidth or delay (Narayan has a point here in preferring Delay), and finally you can use offset as illustrated in the document above, which i like to use.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

pxh
Level 1
Level 1

Why don't you consider using MLPPP to combine those two PPP links? You will have a bigger pipe.

PH

Thats sounds new to me sir. Havent tried that before. Can i ask a favor from you if you do have any documentation regarding about it for me to read and implement it immidiately thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card