Verify 6500 QoS (per port queueing stats)

Unanswered Question
May 14th, 2007

Hi all,

(just pinched the text from a question posted a month ago)

But I have exactly the same issue.

original text ....

just enabled QoS in a 6509 (mls qos).

My main requirement is about having counters so see how many packets for each CoS/DSCP type each interface is sending and/or receiving.

Additionally, how many of these are sent to each one of the queues (how many to the high priority queue and how many to the others).

The command I found (show queueing interf gig x/y)

includes counters for packets being discarded. This is nice but gives you information only when congestion happens. During normal operation it is all zeros.

Smaller switches like the 3750 or 3560 include the following command: "show mls qos interface x/y stat". Gives me the counters I want. Nevertheless, does not exist in the 6500s.

In a summary, I want to have no concerns about VoIP traffic not using the high priority queues. I also want to make sure we don't have any rogue packets using the high priority queues. Get the idea? Any other commands you may know to verify this?

Thanks in advance

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rseiler Tue, 05/15/2007 - 14:30

Which Supervisor engine are you using? Need the exact version and PFC version. Also, which linecard do you want information from?

kfarrington Tue, 05/15/2007 - 23:20

Hi Richard, and many many thx for the reply.

Its a sup720 and PFC3

The card is a CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP

Is this enough information?

If not pls let me know.

Many thx

Ken

rseiler Wed, 05/16/2007 - 09:37

No, not quite enough. Send a 'show version', 'remote command switch show version', 'show fabric all' and 'show module'.

Thanks.

andrew.burns Fri, 05/18/2007 - 07:12

How about netflow? If you're serious about monitoring QoS then a netflow analysis tool is essential. For example, you could pick a time period and a particular QoS value and see all the conversations associated with it which is far better info than what you get from the counters.. (assuming you had some counters :-)

HTH

Andrew.

Actions

This Discussion