Helpful
Replies

Router model to use based on the requirement

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

SIZING of the router:

Hi All,

There is one customer having 700 Users who access for the traffic below from various sites,

APPS - Exchange, SAP, Internet, VPN, File Servers,

What is the recommended router that I can propose to my customer?

Thanks a lot!

cindy

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Cindy,

Always use this document:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps5855/c1031/cdccont_0900aecd8019dc1f.pdf

I'll go for the Cisco 7200 series.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

baydata
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Go for Cisco 2811 model I think this model will satisfy Your customer requirement

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Cindy,

When you mentioned "from various sites" you mean remote sites?

I guess the "APPS - Exchange, SAP, Internet, VPN, File Servers," are in Central Site (or HQ).

Routers comes in small and big sizes. The big one may not be always the best solution, the small one may not be enough. The most important in deciding which device will suit the requirements are;

1. How are you going to connect the LAN and WAN?

- This will determine the interfaces, ports and modules needed

- This will also determine the IOS feature set needed

2. Once you determine the interfaces, ports, modules, IOS needed in item 1. Look for the appropriate model, make sure that the model you select is scalable.

- Always make sure that the DRAM/FLASH are upgradeable.

- Always make sure that there is available slot to plug WIC or NM in the future for expansion.

Dandy

Hi Dandy,

Thanks for your input.

This router is basically to do routing, which will be the first priority HSRP router for 3 remote sites.

Regards,

Hi Cindy,

You mentioned HSRP, this means you need two routers in the Central Site?

What will be the type of lines? Will there be primary and backup line from 3 remote sites? For example

1. Central Site

- 2 Routers (HSRP)

2. 3 Remote Sites

- 1 Router only

- Primary is Leased Line to Router1 in Central Site

- Backup is ISDN to Router2 in Central Site

Will the above is your requirement? Maybe you can draw a a simple diagram showing the connections and type of link and which of the sites you need recommendation for routers.

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: