Where to take your career after 5 years of CCIE???

Unanswered Question
May 14th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi,

I have been racking my brain for the last 6 to 8 months now trying to figure out where to take my career after this!! I got my CCIE on 2002 and ever since then I have had lead presales roles.. lead design Architecture roles... senior consultant roles.. etc.. etc.. basically all technical.. I feel like I'm pigeon holed into this "CCIE" position and that's all it's going to get me till I retire in 40 years time !!!.

I want to ask and hear from people around the world who have been a CCIE for 5+years... "Where do you go next"!!!!

Do you do an MBA??? get into management??? Do you aim for a CIO, or CTO (Technology Officer) role?? but how??

The sky is no longer the limit when it comes to CCIE salaries... so what's the next step???

I look forward to hearing from everyone in my situation.

Regards Armen

Overall Rating: 3 (3 ratings)
armen Tue, 05/15/2007 - 02:27
User Badges:

Gee thanks mate, very helpful, I'll take that on board... It sounds like you've got your career down pat for the next 5 to 10 years !!!

I actually wanted to see what other proactive CCIE's are doing about their careers other than just being a techo.... but Presidency sounds good!!! Look for me at the next elections!!!

Wilson Samuel Tue, 05/15/2007 - 06:07
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Mobile User, July 2015

Hi Armen,

The real role would come when you work with a SI or System Integrator like Dimension Data or Datacraft-Asia or with Prinicpal itself i.e. Cisco Systems, where in you finally get a Management role i.e. for a technology or product line.

Secondly getting into the Role of CTO or CIO would require your knowledge and experience in the aspect of Project Management and Buisness Administration as well, hence an MBA is generally a good bet.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

HTH, please rate if helpful

jambo1967 Tue, 05/15/2007 - 15:27
User Badges:

hi armen

dont know where u r based,but in britain the ccie guys still command v.good money especially contracting!

dgoodridge Wed, 05/16/2007 - 02:51
User Badges:

Hi Armen,

I'm not a CCIE but have been in IT technicals roles a long time and am currently contracting.

From the sounds of it you must have done loads of project management, budgeting, Man management (assuming you had junior techs) and maybe some business profiling.

If you don't fancy staying technical, which one of those do you enjoy the most?

I have the same dilema but am pretty sure that I will be going down the Project/Programme management route because I find it the most satifying.

If you do wish to stay slightly technical but advance your career then I would agree with the above post and suggest a move to CTO or CIO.

IMHO you would probably find an MBA frustratingly slow paced and ultimately not relevant to modern day tech.

Let us know what you choose.

Regards,

Doug

roger-tucker Sat, 05/19/2007 - 23:05
User Badges:

With Oil tycoons, actors, and swindlers flooding politics you may want to avoid the presedency but you might try a Technology Managment course either undergrad or masters. Coupled with your CCIE and experience you'd have a lot of opportunities.

Actions

This Discussion