Where to take your career after 5 years of CCIE???

Unanswered Question
May 14th, 2007

Hi,

I have been racking my brain for the last 6 to 8 months now trying to figure out where to take my career after this!! I got my CCIE on 2002 and ever since then I have had lead presales roles.. lead design Architecture roles... senior consultant roles.. etc.. etc.. basically all technical.. I feel like I'm pigeon holed into this "CCIE" position and that's all it's going to get me till I retire in 40 years time !!!.

I want to ask and hear from people around the world who have been a CCIE for 5+years... "Where do you go next"!!!!

Do you do an MBA??? get into management??? Do you aim for a CIO, or CTO (Technology Officer) role?? but how??

The sky is no longer the limit when it comes to CCIE salaries... so what's the next step???

I look forward to hearing from everyone in my situation.

Regards Armen

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
swmorris Tue, 05/15/2007 - 09:33

"Pigeon holed" is something that happens to actors doing the same thing over and over. We have choices!

Let's turn things around a little. What would you LIKE to do?

The bottom line is that you can do anything (although I doubt the US is ready for a geek president, but I'd vote for you!). But you need to decide what that something is.

Remember that nothing is permanent, so if you want to try something and don't like it, just change.

However, be aware that making changes like that isn't always easy. if you don't think you are ready for whatever "it" is you want to do, develop a plan how to get there.

There are two goals in life. Have fun, and make money. Not necessarily in that order, but if you accomplish both, you'll be happy at whatever it is!

IF you want management, an MBA would be an excellent idea. CIO or CTO roles may be fine, but you may also be bored beyond belief. If you don't like paperwork, that won't help (violating one premise of no longer having fun)...

How about teaching? Different rewards, different views of things.

If you don't like it, not a good idea, but at least an option with variety!

Scott

[email protected]

Actions

This Discussion