cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mpls configuration

bravosavino
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a newbie to Mpls. I'm doing my attachment with a service privider. It is presently running bgp in it backbone. Its now considering restructuring and upgrading to bgp/mpls. it will have 4 P routers and 5 PE routers for now. Each PE router will be connected to two other P routers for redunancy.It wants to use IS-IS as it igp.

Can anyone give me the step-by-step configuration on the P routers and PE routers.

Thanks,

Roosevelt

10 Replies 10

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

I'll try to list the steps briefly and you can comment on each step:

1.Make sure that the IOSs on the routers supports MPLS and BGP (The IOS should be SP, Enterprise Services, Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise Services).

2.Configure the point-to-point connectivity between all the routers.

3.Configure MPLS (Tag-switching) on all the interfaces between all the routers.

4.Configure ISIS on all the routers and make sure that you can ping all the loopbacks from all the routers.

5.Configure MBGP between all the PE routers (or most recommended have one of them as the RR).

Now you can comment on each step, and good luck :)

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for your brief steps. These step gives me the basic idea. They are very helpful. Is there any other thing I need to do?

Let me just give you how the network will look. I will appreciated your advice or suggestion. I want you to please give me the sample configuration on at least PE router 1, P router 1, and P router 2. you can give assume lookback address and interfaces address.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Roosevelt

Hi,

Please check the attached configuration template as a good starting guide.

I hope that i've been informative, and please do come back if you have further questions.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Sorry forgot to attach the file.

here you are.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

It is so great. Thanks for such an informative resource. Is it force to create subinterfaces?...the network is not an ATM or frame relay network. We want to totally rebuilt it to bgp/mpls...so its from strectch.

Thanks so much Mohammed for your effort. I still look up to you for any suggestion. I think I can relate to you as my instructor from now, because you make complicated subjects easy to understand. we will also be considering running TE, and QoS. hope you can help also in these direction.

Love to hear from you soon.

Best regards.

Roosevelt

Hi Roosevelt,

I am glade that you are building it up :)

You can use whatever interfaces you like, ATM, FR, Ethernet, ... Using sub-interfaces is a matter of cost, you can have a separate interface for each remote router, or for cost wise you can use sub-interfaces.

Please never hesitate for any further questions, and please do enjoy your design :) Good Luck.

I hope that i've been informative.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies using the scroll box on the right,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

You've been very informative. Your information is building me up so greatly. Don't you think that there is an advantage in peering every bgp PE router than jsut having. a single RR. Please tell more about this.

Besides, I will love to know also traffic engineering configuration.

Thanks,

Roosevelt

Hi Roosevelt,

I am really very glade that i have succeeded in helping you, please feel free for further questions :)

BGP route reflectors reduce the number of peer connections inside an AS (as it removes the need of having full mesh iBGP peers - an iBGP router never sends iBGP routes learned from an iBGP router to another iBGP router), prevent loops, and allow all routers to learn about all prefixes, for redundancy you can have 2 RRs.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohammed,

I'm more glad than you :) You are really building me up and helping a lot. I always want to hear from you. Please expect more questions from me. Again thanks.

Roosevelt

Hi Roosevelt,

You are always welcomed :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: