Views
Helpful
Replies

2691 Router Error

kcgeorge1218
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

Could anyone please tell me why this happens everytime I do a 'wr mem' on a C2691 router with 32MB flash. Running 12.3(5d) code.

*Mar 1 00:04:41.811: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

% Warning: Saving this config to nvram may corrupt any network management or sec

urity files stored at the end of nvram.

Continue? [no]: y

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NV_OVERRUN: Non config data present at the end of nvram is corrupted[OK]

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi George,

Can you please try the following?

Router#config t

Router(config)#service compress-config

Router(config)#exit

Router#wr mem

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Ankur

I have had some routers with that symptom and in my experience it was not an issue with config file size (and if there is an issue with config file size I believe that the error message is different). So I am not optimistic that service compress-config will change these symptoms.

I believe that there are a couple versions of IOS that exibit this behavior. When confronted with this message I have saved the config anyway and have never had problems where the router found anything corrupted that pervented its functioning.

I believe that the best way to deal with this problem is to upgrade to a newer version of code (that is what I did to make the error message stop - and I found it quite effective).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi George ,

Meaning of the error messages is as below.

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NV_OVERRUN: Non config data present at the end of nvram is corrupted

The software detected that the configuration saved into NVRAM has overlaid a part of the NVRAM that is occupied by nonconfiguration data files. Typically, these files are used by SNMP to store and retrieve nonconfiguration persistent data across a system reload.

Recommended Action: Compress the configuration, and copy to Flash memory.

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message.

Thanks,

Satish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card