cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 or CE500 are better for Traffic carrying video over IP

sa182802
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small Lan with fiber backbone. It carries Video over IP together with the Data traffic. Which switch performs better with this heavy traffic WS-2960 or WS-CE500

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I think both switch perform the same, but most people doesn't like the 500 because it not true IOS without a CLI and the advanced feature you may need.

Hello,

What do you mean by "it not true IOS"?

and what are the advanced feature?

Hi, did you read the data sheet for the 500?

It does not have a CLI, web-configuration only.

Whatever is not included in the GUI configuration, may be "advanced" and you do not have it. It's basically a low-cost switch for SMB customer, not a transport/aggregation switch.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

The CE500 uses "smartports" meaning that you specify what the end point is and it sets what it considers to the be best configuration..point and click. There is no console port and no access to anything other than the web interface. I sold one to a client and had many problems with it, we replaced it with a 3650 and I have not quoted any more.

Also, the 500 has PoE but the 2960 does not.

Hope this helps.

If using the web interface only without any console is OK for us, what are the other problems that you faced?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: