cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME inventory and config archive issue

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I have about 500 devices in RME inventory out of which about 200 are NOT using TACACS and they are using just a telnet and enable password. I have noticed that config archive has started to fail on these device, when I exported the inventory in the CSV format I found out that these device credentials have TACACS username and password which I never supplied to begin with. Is it possible for RME to have devices with and witout TACACS credential. If so what do I need to do to fix it.

Thank you all in advance.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is possible. You simply need to remove the username credential from the devices that are not using TACACS+, and update the password and enable password fields with the correct, locally configured credentials.

In the upcoming LMS 3.0, we will offer default and secondary credentials. The former will allow you to specify a set of credentials that new devices added to DCR will inherit. The latter will allow you to specify a set of fallback credentials to use when the primary set fails.

You are saying that I will have to update all 200 device credentials which are not using TACACS? FYI that initially none of my devices were using TACACS, I started enabling TACACS about a year ago and decided to keep some site withtout TACACS. Is it not true about RME that it first check TACACS credentials and if it fails then it falls to local authentication?

Yes, you will have to update all of the devices in DCR to correct their credentials. If they all use the same local credentials, you can do this in one shot by selecting all of the devices under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management, then click the Edit Credentials button.

LMS 2.5+ will not fallback to local credentials since there is only one set of credentials configured. LMS 3.0 adds the ability to fallback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: