Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Monitoring

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Without the use of 3rd party applications, how can I perform monitoring on a router? For example, how can I monitor a specific workstation with it's I.P address or hostname with information on what type of traffic it's traversing inbound and outbound to and from the internet? For eg, I would like to monitor data transmissions, the source of the transmission (ie youtube video downloading, ebay browsing), etc etc

Thank You

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can use ip cache flow under the internet interface "ip route-cache flow", and then use show ip cache flow.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hello,

I attempted the command but it's invalid.

I have three options if I do an ip route-cache ?

cbus

same-interface

sse

Which do you recommend?

Hi,

You have to use "ip route-cache flow" under the main interface, while the "ip flow ingress" was an enhancement to be used under subinterfaces.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

In addition to net flow you can also think off using NBAR (which is memory extensive) to export the details like your traffic with both in/out bytes/packets to an external system so that you can verify the amount of data transmission with respect to each port or application.

regds

Thanks

I want to enable the logging on a cisco 2500 that I have here. This router, routes traffic from the LAN through a T1 to another network. I'm trying to establish the netflow on this router, but it doesn't accept the command. I tried to establish it on any of the interfaces but none of them seem to work. It has different switches in replacement to "flow" as stated in my previous comment.

Any ideas?

I doubt an old 2500 supports netflow though I don't know that for sure . You would have to look at some of the last codes produced for 2500 to see if it supported netflow or not .

I believe they do

I tried the command on a 2600 router and im having the same issue.

The only difference is that im getting different switches available to me with the ip-route cache command

policy

same-interface

Can you enable netflow on ethernet and serial interfaces?

The 2600 is running version 11.3 and the 2500 is running 10.3, if this matters.

Any help would be appreciated

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card