Views
Helpful
Replies

Wan Traffic Analysis

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Is there any tools which can be used to monitor traffic on a T1 WAN link? For example, what programs and services are causing the most data traffic, are there any large data transfers taking place on the line (if so, what is the source and destination i.p's, etc etc

Thanks

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can use ip cache flow under the internet interface "ip route-cache flow", and then use show ip cache flow.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Then for the easier access to netflow data choose a management tool like prtg or solarwinds that can use the netflow data export function on the router.

tprendergast
Level 3
Level 3

Check out ethereal (free packet sniffer)... Your best bet is to capture traffic coming into the LAN interface of your edge router. This traffic is going to be destined for the internet (usually), and you can get a good idea of what is on the way out. You could use a tap and capture traffic going onto the T1 circuit, but it is a bit more painful to do.

Ethereal will classify traffic by source ip, destination ip, and ports. You can identify major bandwidth eaters very quickly.

Enjoy,

Tim

PS -- Other great products that do this, but on a retail basis: Network Instruments Observer, Sniffer Pro, etc.

Hi and thanks for the responses.

I decided to start fooling around with ethereal. It works great but it only sniffs packets on the local computer interface.

How can I snif packets on the router interfaces from a PC on the network? Is it possible b/c the local traffic on my pc is useless to me.

Thanks again

Hi,

According to your switch, you can use Port SPAN (Switched Port Analyzer) to monitor the traffic on the switch port to which the router is connected.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Craig Norborg
Level 4
Level 4

I have to agree that a Netflow program (NetQoS, Solarwinds Orion, etc) is the best for this by far. Actually the new Solarwinds toolset is coming out soon (v8) which will have a small Netflow tool in it too, you can get a free 30 day trial for this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: