Bonding 2 T1s running Frame Relay

Unanswered Question
May 14th, 2007

Our internet T1 is almost maxed out, and we're looking into adding another T1 from a different carrier. Is it possible to bind 2 T1s running Frame Relay, encapsulation HDLC and terminated in the same router?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.7 (3 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Mon, 05/14/2007 - 13:45

Do you use the T1 for internet? There is bonding to do, you will just have a second ISP and can send some destination off one T1 or balance equally on both. That requires that you run NAT on the router itself.

Hieu Cao Mon, 05/14/2007 - 13:57

Thank you for your response.

Yes, we've a T1 used for Internet. Is it possible that you can explain it in more detailed as I am not quite clear what you're referring to.

Originally, I thought that I would need to use MPPP or BGP to bind the T1s together. But I don't think that MPPP would work since I am running FR, encapsulation HDLC.

Thanks for your time and input.

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 05/14/2007 - 14:05

Since they are 2 providers, then you can't bond the T1s anyway, you'll have to then do load sharing or balancing between the 2 links.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hieu Cao Mon, 05/14/2007 - 14:15

Thanks, Mohammed. Silly question to ask..but What protocol should I be using to do load-sharing between the 2 T1s from 2 different ISPs?

If the 2nd T1 is coming from the same ISP, what should I use to bind the 2 T1s?

Thanks for your time.

mohammedmahmoud Mon, 05/14/2007 - 14:25

Load sharing shall be done in layer 3 (routing wise), in the case of 2 ISPs.

If both T1s were from the same ISP you can do MPPP to bond them.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Paolo Bevilacqua Mon, 05/14/2007 - 15:09

Thank you but mine was a confusing answer.I wrote "there is bonding to do" when in fact I meant to say the opposite.

Will write slower next time.

Hieu Cao Tue, 05/15/2007 - 08:36

Hello Krisztian,

Thank you very much for the input and the link. It's very helpful.

This Discussion