cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

accessing ciscoworks from third-party software

brian.oflynn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, does anyone use a third-party application to pull information from Ciscoworks? If so, do you access the database directly, or are you exporting data from ciscoworks and accessing that file then instead? Another group wants to get asset information from our network equipment and I have been told the way to do this is they get their information via ciscoworks as opposed to giving them snmp access to our devices.

4 Replies 4

jedavis
Level 4
Level 4

I started to dig into the guts of CiscoWorks once to try and determine how to access the databases. What I found was that they use a proprietary third-party database access technology. It has been a while and I can't remember exactly what it is called. When I discovered this I gave up on the database access.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I don't think it will be easy. Good luck.

Even if you know how to access the DBs you only have the information stored in the tables like an undone puzzle; Look on the following cli tools to dump the RME device information into a file - you can have a csv or an xml file (You can even define a report in RME and use this report for the dump):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008055b5ca.html#wp1110639

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008055b5ca.html#wp1157412

If the info you get with this dump is enough, you can do the dump on a regular basis (schedular) and provide it to those how need it

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please keep in mind that using a third party tool for direct access to the LMS databases is not a supported operation.

Thanks for all the replies, I am happy enough to go back and say this is not a path we will be taking. I like the suggestion about using the inventory in RME dumped to a file.

Cheers

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: