cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast ?

jouk
Level 1
Level 1

Is it posible to realise IP multicasting at LAN using Catalyst 2950T ?

I want to multicast Video over IP in my local network, where Video Server and recivers located in the same LAN.

Or i need to get higher model of Catalyst ?

8 Replies 8

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jouk,

You do not need any special configuration on layer 2 switch to make multicast work. However IGMP snooping is enabled by default on cisco swutches.

I will recommend you to read this link which will give you a whole idea what could be the problem and possible solutions

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/cat_multicast_prob.html

Please come back if you have any doubts.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thank you for advice, but i have no CCO. Is this link in open resource ? Or please e-mail me to jouk@komin.ru

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Here you go

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/cat_multicast_prob.html

HTH

Ankur

I read this document, i think than in case of my catalyst 2950T, solution 3 is proper. Do you have the basic configuration for router and catalist for my problem ?

I think that i have to configure router for multicast trafic and PIM-DM on proper interface. On catalyst - igmp snooping. Is right ?

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Yes if you have a router then there is not much issue and you can enable pim on proper interface and on cat switch igmp snooping is enabled by default.

HTH

Ankur

But what i have to do if i will not use the router. Solution without router is preferred.

Or in this case no special configuration of catalyst is needed ? Sourse and receivers will locate in same VLAN at the same switch.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

If you do not have any router in that vlan then I believe you have 3 options available.

1) Disable IGMP snooping which will treat all multicast traffic as broadcast.

2) Add static multicast mac address in your switch so that cam table has that entry and multicast traffic will be fwded ot those ports only but YES this si not a scalable solution.

3) Enable iGMP snooping querier on your switch but this option is not available on 2950 switch.

HTH

Ankur

Ok, thank you i'll try to do these.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card