cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should I upgrade to 4.1.171.0 on WiSM's?

da.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have three WiSM's in my environment currently running just over 400 access points. They are running 3.2.171.6 currently, but we are getting ready to upgrade everything during a scheduled downtime. I was wondering if anyone else has upgraded to 4.1 and what issues if any have you experienced? Being that we are a hospital, I can't afford any unscheduled downtimes or issues, but I want to get as high as possible in the code so that I don't have to upgrade again in 6 months. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Darren Ramsey
Level 4
Level 4

David,

I've had pretty good luck with 4.0.217.0 so far. Running on 7 controllers (WISM and 4400) for around 3 weeks. I'm leaving it alone until there is a good reason for 4.1

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

review the release info to see if there are items/bugs that apply to your environment.

Are you running WCS as well? there some great features available in 4.1.83 such as longer trending (up to 12 weeks I think) and much improved reporting along with the ability to schedule & email reports in various formats including pdf. the controller upgrade was seamless for us, we are running four 4402 WLC with @ 100 1020 APs. I was able to upgrade all 4 WLCs in @ 20 minutes time including reboots.

The only issue I had was with the WCS 4.1, but that was due to the fact I was running it on RHEL 3 ES and not 4. I have since fixed that.

be sure to do the bootloader upgrade 1st

Thanks guys. I have reviewed the release notes to see what would be a problem and I don't see anything specifically. We are already having a ton of pains with 3.2.171.6. The WiSM's will randomly reboot and sometimes the WiSM will let go of the AP's and sometimes they won't. If they don't, you have to telnet to the service port and do a system reset before the AP's can become available again.

Since we have experienced this about every 30 to 45 days for almost the last 2 years, I want to make sure what ever version we do deploy is rock solid. I am really toying with staying on 4.0 code unless someone says that I should really go to 4.1.

We have had no issues with reboots on the 4402s, which are the same code as the wisms

There is an important note on the download page regarding upgrading if you choose to do so

mportant Note: If you are running any lower version than 4.0.206.0 in 4.0 stream or if you are running lower version than 3.2.195.10 image in 3.0 stream , please upgrade the controller to 4.0.206.0 or higher for 4.0 stream and 3.2.195.10 or higher for 3.0 stream before loading 4.1.171.0 image.

If you are having so many issues now, why not upgrade the wisms , sounds like something TAC would say - Upgrade!

Seriously, it is very painless to roll back if you have to.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card