Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Switch - Entry Level

rsabapathee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to set up a Layer 3 switch for intervlan routing.

What are the entry level switches that will do this operation?

What components are required?

thx

8 Replies 8

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

3560 or 3750 with IP Services IOS (formerly known as EMI)

mparekh
Level 3
Level 3

The entry level switch would be the Catalyst 3560 switch. There are several option of these switches you can choose (PoE, 10/100/1000) depending on what you need. See link below for mor einfo on this switch:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/index.html

thx guys

but what hardware components are required in addition to the switch?

You need a patch cable to connect the hosts to the switch. If you need security, you need a firewall. If you need internet connection, you need a router.

Hi Friend,

Switches are itself hardware components with IOS software loaded on the same. You just need to connect you machines to the switches in different vlans and configure the switch IOS for inter vlan routing and you are good to go.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

thanks lad. I think i was configured with something else.

I guess I only need one of the switches specified with the appropriate ios.

I thought i needed a special type of hardware like a supervisor module or something that does the layer 3 routing. I guess not!

Hi Friend,

Yes you simple need 3560 switch with basic standard image to start with for inter vlan routing. This switch is a fix switch and not a modular switch but if it has advance image installed this switch is capable of all advance routing protocols also.

Sup modules and other modules are some advance modules which are installed on modular high end switches/chassis.

HTH

Ankur

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

The entry level switch will be 3560 and 3560E switches. They come with different port density.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/index.html

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: